Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Of gravel roads and late summer flowers

I've spend a lot of time avoiding gravel roads.  The gravel is bumpy, riding your bike on them can be unpleasant with bumping and lurching, and then there's dust.  But today on my ride through Millenium Park before work, I chose the road less traveled, slowed my speed, and rode silently through the park, it's birdsongs, and arrived at a curving railroad bridge.  There, along the bridge grew pokeberries which are beginning to turn purple.
Gravel road

Pokeweed 
Continuing on through the park I note the change of the summer wildflowers.  If there's one wildflower to announce that it is now late summer, it's goldenrod.

Goldenrod   

As I make my ride through Millenium Park into a daily habit, I am starting to realize that I am starting to know the animals and the people who are there at the same time.  I know where the bob-white lives.  Here song is always in the same place ( though I can not see her).  The girl on the mountain bike with red hair is almost there.  Gradually, I expect to know the plants and birds as if they are neighbors. 


No comments:

Post a Comment